Let’s discover together the best areas, hotels and apartments to stay in Barcelona during a trip with family, lovers or friends, in which neighborhood to stay in Barcelona. Let’s go!
- Best areas to stay in Barcelona 📍
- For a romantic stay 💚
- Family accommodation 🌟
- With friends 🕺
- Get from the airport to downtown Barcelona ✈️
- TOP 5 places to visit ✨
1. Best areas to stay in Barcelona
In which neighborhood to stay in Barcelona? Here is our TOP of the best neighborhoods to stay in Barcelona, although each of these neighborhoods has its pluses and minuses.
- Eixample: the area where there are magnificent examples of Gaudi’s architecture, beautiful and large tree-lined avenues, perfect for choosing accommodation in Barcelona for a trip
- Gothic Quarter: the medieval quarter, the oldest neighborhood in Barcelona, nice little streets, but sometimes dimly lit accommodation, hence the need to select and choose well
- Gracia: a pleasant and not very touristic district of Barcelona, but further away from the main places to visit (see below in the blog post)
- El Born: a central district, close to the Gothic Quarter
- Poblenou: a neighborhood close to the beach in Barcelona
- Raval: a neighborhood close to the Gothic Quarter and formerly considered seedy, but whose image has improved in recent years
- Barceloneta: between the beach of Barcelona and the port of Barcelona, a little away from the city and the main places to visit
Romantic trip in Barcelona. To enjoy Barcelona as a couple, the best areas to stay are Eixample or the Gothic Quarter.
Family trip. The best neighborhoods to stay in Barcelona for a family trip are Gracia, Eixample or the Gothic Quarter.
Travel with friends. If you go to Barcelona to visit this magnificent city, but also to go out and party, the best areas to stay in Barcelona are rather El Born, Poblenou or Raval. These neighborhoods are lively, or are close to the lively places of Barcelona.
2. Hotels where to stay in Barcelona for couples
Here is our selection of hotels to make the most of a romantic trip to Barcelona.
Catalonia Catedral: a very nice hotel where to stay in Barcelona as a couple. The decoration and the atmosphere of the hotel are pleasant and even remarkable. The location is ideal for visiting Barcelona, more precisely in the old town of Barcelona between the Gothic quarter and the Eixample district.
H10 Urquinaona Plaza: located in the Eixample district, in an elegant 19th century building, this hotel offers clean and pleasant double rooms for a romantic getaway.
What to do in Barcelona? Discover our selection of guided tours in French from the most essential to the most unusual (on foot, by boat, with a local guide…): best guided tours in Barcelona.
3. Family accommodation where to stay in Barcelona
Where to stay in Barcelona with family? Here are some good addresses and hotels for a family trip to Barcelona:
Vincci Gala: located in Eixample, not far from the Gothic quarter, the Vincci Gala hotel offers connecting double rooms of 44m2 with, for example, a bedroom with a double bed and a bedroom with two single beds.
Barcelona Apartment Val: spacious apartments with 2 or 3 bedrooms located in Eixample and practical for a trip to Barcelona with the family.
Hotel Denit Barcelona: located in the Gothic quarter of Barcelona, this hotel offers triple rooms, practical for a trip to Barcelona with a small child.
4. Where to stay to visit Barcelona with friends?
Youth hostels are a good option for a trip to Barcelona with friends, but also some apartments. Here is our selection of apartments and hostels where to stay to visit Barcelona with friends:
Unite Hostel Barcelona: located 400 meters from Nova Icària beach, this hostel offers beds in dormitories for 8 people. Some dorms are for women only. Top location for visiting Barcelona and going out in Barcelona!
Decô Apartments Barcelona-Born Apt: located in the Born district, these apartments are perfect for a stay with friends in Barcelona.
6. How to get from the airport to downtown Barcelona?
When choosing your accommodation in Barcelona, it is also important to know how you will get from the airport to your hotel, apartment or hostel. For example, the buses that shuttle between the airport and the city center go to Plaça Catalunya. Accommodation close to this square will therefore be more interesting for you.
Barcelona airport is located 14km from Barcelona. In general, to go from Barcelona airport to the city center, you don’t waste a lot of time. Several options are possible. You can also take a transport card.
Book a taxi to go from the airport to your accommodation: no hassle with suitcases, the most practical (prices for airport transfer).
Take the shuttle, the aerobus, which leaves from Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 and goes to Place de Catalunya: the journey will take you 35 minutes (6 euros for a one-way ticket, and 11 euros for a round trip) , but you will also have to add the time between the place and your accommodation. Departures are every 10 minutes. If you choose this option, take into account the distance between the location of the accommodation where you will stay in Barcelona and the bus stops.
Take the train: the most economical, 30 minutes journey, departures every 30 minutes, 2 euros per person, two stops in downtown Barcelona (Estació Sants and Passeig de Gràcia).
GOOD TO KNOW! If you are going to Barcelona, it might be worth getting an unlimited transport card. It will allow you to take public transport, but also to go from the airport to your accommodation, and vice versa. Discover the prices here: Card for public transport in Barcelona for 48, 72, 96 or 120 hours.
6. TOP 5 places to visit in Barcelona
Likewise, in order to choose the right place for your accommodation, and even to prepare your trip to Barcelona, here are the TOP of the must-see places to visit:
- Sagrada Familia (outside the old town, more or less close to the Eixample district)
- Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Barcelona (Gothic Quarter)
- La Rambla (famous avenue in Barcelona that lies between the Gothic Quarter and Raval)
- Casa Milà and Casa Battlò (magnificent examples of Gaudì’s architecture, Eixample district)
To discover all the things to do and see in Barcelona in this blog post: What to visit and do in Barcelona in 2, 3 or 4 days.
In summary, the best areas to stay with family or lovers are the districts of Eixample and Gracia. If you are going to visit Barcelona with friends, neighborhoods such as El Born, Raval and Poblenou will be the most interesting for you. The Gothic Quarter is the most central district of Barcelona. However, the heart of the Gothic quarter is not always the most interesting in terms of comfort. If you are going on a trip to Barcelona and the Gothic Quarter interests you the most, you will have to choose well. For example, take a good look at the characteristics of the accommodation and the opinions of other travelers in order to avoid unpleasant surprises.