What is the best area to stay in London? London is one of the TOP 3 most biggest cities in Europe. And in addition, it is also one of the most expensive European cities. Therefore, it can be a real challenge to find a nice and cheap accommodation in London. Find out below what are the best areas and hotels where to stay in London for 3 days with family, friends or for a romantic trip. Let’s go!
- Best areas where to stay in London 📍
- Romantic hotels and apartments 💚
- Nice addresses for a family stay in London 🌟
- Cheap accommodation and hostels in London 👯
- What to do in London for a 3 day trip or more? 🤩
1. Best areas to stay in London
Our TOP 8 areas. The best areas to stay in London are Westminster, Soho, Piccadilly, Covent Garden, Camden Town, Shoreditch, Chelsea, South Kensington, and the City district. The atmospheres are different, and each neighborhood has its own charm or particular interest. London neighborhoods are like small towns within a big city.
Neighborhoods to avoid? In our opinion, areas such as South Kensington or City are not the best areas to stay in London. These are good neighborhoods, but not necessarily great for a trip to London. We will see why later.
Rates. London is one of the most expensive cities in Europe, if not the most expensive. In order to find lower prices, it is best to move away from the historic center, while remaining close to public transport.
1.1 Westminster: area to stay in the heart of historic London
Must-sees. It is in the district of Westminster that the great must-see places to visit in London are to be found. Here they are: Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Abbey, Palace and Westminster Bridge. You will therefore be in the heart of historic London, which is convenient for a short stay.
Comfort. Here, the avenues are wide, and the buildings are imposing. Accommodation in Westminster is generally comfortable, except possibly if your room overlooks a busy avenue. Accommodation prices in the Westminster area are among the highest, but are generally justified by the location and the service offered.
Downside (potential). This district is, of course, very touristy, and even, certainly, the most touristic of London. You can feel far from the life of the locals, but also lack a little life in the evening to go out, and above all have a large accommodation budget. If that’s not a problem for you, then go for it!
- The Sanctuary House Hotel: ideally located, close to the parks, but also a 5-minute walk from Big Ben and Westminster Abbey and a 20-minute walk from the Soho district, this hotel is a very nice place to stay in full heart of London for couples.
- Sidney Hotel London-Victoria: a little more out of the way, but a 15-minute walk from Buckingham Palace, this hotel offers rooms with good value for its location.
1.2 Soho, Picadilly, Covent Garden: the best areas to stay in London?
Very dynamic and central. You may have heard of Soho, Piccadilly or Covent Garden at least once. Located in the very center of London, these three districts are very lively: full of shops, but also nice places to go out in London at night. You can do a lot of trips on foot: a nice place to stay in London with family, as a couple or with a group of friends. It is quite hard to find a cheap accommodation in Soho district in London.
Advice. Obviously, some streets in Soho, Picadilly or Covent Garden are not necessarily ideal for staying in London. The bars, the busy streets, the shops attract a lot of people and give a lively aspect to the city, but have a disadvantage: the noise. If this is an important point for you, when choosing your hotel or apartment in London, try to avoid the major busy roads.
- Victory House London: nicely decorated and elegant, the rooms of this hotel are very pleasant for a romantic weekend in London. The hotel is located just minutes from Soho and Piccadilly Circus. The location is perfect for visiting London as a couple.
1.3 Notting Hill: trendy area with a friendly atmosphere
Hyde Park. Notting Hill is a very nice area to stay in London with family or for couples. This area is near Hyde Park. He became famous thanks to the film “Love at first sight in Notting Hill” with Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant.
Pleasant neighborhood. In our opinion, this is one of the best areas, if not the best, to stay in London! One of the interesting places to visit in the area is the Portobello Road Antiques Market. Come here on Saturday morning. Here are some good addresses in this area of London.
- Kensington Gardens Hotel: an interesting and well-located hotel for a couple’s trip to London.
- The Portobello Hotel: ideal for immersing yourself in the atmosphere of the neighborhood!
1.4 Shoreditch: cosmopolitan and hipster area to stay in London
East End. Part of the East End, Shoreditch is considered a hipster area of London. For years, this part of London was rather industrial, and today it finds a whole new life.
Hipster. In the streets of Shoreditch, and especially in Brick Lane, you can see a lot of street art. We also discover alternative places, art galleries and theaters, or even nice places to eat or have a drink in London. Even if you will have to take transport to visit London, Shoreditch is one of the best areas to stay in London, if you like this atmosphere. And if not, at least one of the areas to visit in London.
- Point A London Liverpool Street: located 5 minutes from Brick Lane and transport links, this hotel offers double rooms without windows, but modern and at a very reasonable price for visiting London.
- citizenM London Shoreditch: here is a very nice place to stay in London! You’ll love the city view from your room, the modern decor and king-size bed. n beautiful romantic trip in perspective!
1.5 Camden Town: the cool area to absolutely visit in London
Unusual. Located northwest of the city center, Camden is considered one of the atypical neighborhoods to visit in London. One of the most famous places to discover is the Camden Town Market. The best to visit is on Sunday, it is the day when the district is most alive.
Quite far from the city center. Camden Town is not necessarily the ideal area to stay in London with your loved one or with friends for a short time. On the other hand, if you come here for 4, 5 days or more, and this alternative side attracts you, this is clearly a neighborhood to consider.
- Camden Enterprise Hotel: 10 minutes’ walk from Camden Town Market, this hotel offers rooms for less than 160 euros per night in a Victorian-style building. It is a good place to stay in London to discover its alternative side.
1.6 Chelsea: quiet neighborhood where to stay in quiet London
Upscale neighborhood. Chelsea is one of London’s upscale residential areas. This is where you can see the pastel-colored Victorian and Georgian mansions. Accommodation prices are rather high compared to other parts of the city. If you want to discover this side of London, this is a perfect area to stay in London.
- Sydney House Chelsea: you will love the decoration of the rooms, the charm of this small hotel and its service and its location (3 minutes walk from the metro).
- 11 Cadogan Gardens Hotel & Apartments: this hotel offers magnificent, spacious and welcoming apartments to stay in London as a couple or with the family. Everything is there to have an excellent stay and to want to return to London again.
1.7 South Kensington: London’s French Quarter
Nice neighborhood. Not far from Chelsea, this district of Kensington is considered the French quarter of London.
- The Montana Hotel: located a three-minute walk from the underground, this hotel is a very nice place to stay in London at reasonable prices.
1.8 City: district to avoid when visiting London?
Place to visit. Among the interesting places to visit, there is of course the pretty and impressive Saint Paul’s Cathedral, the Tower of London, or The Tower Bridge. Here, we find both the business district of London, and therefore large buildings, but also interesting places to visit.
Very well located, but… The weekend in the City district is more than calm. Not much is happening. In fact, the neighborhood is mostly alive on weekdays, when City employees are at work. You can therefore choose to stay in this district of London for its location, but not necessarily for its overall atmosphere, if you are on the high-rise side of the district.
- Motel One London-Tower Hill: in the heart of the financial center of London, this hotel offers rooms for one or two people. Also, the location of the hotel is attractive. Transport is close: we are an 8-minute walk from the Tower Hill metro.
2. Best places where to stay in London for couples
Discover our selection of the best hotels and apartments where to stay in London for couples.
Locke at Broken Wharf: If you want to feel like a real Londoner, this address is perfect for you. Find here studios, but also larger, welcoming and nicely decorated apartments. Plus, just 8 minutes walk from the River Thames and St. Paul’s Cathedral. The location offers the possibility to visit the historic center of London on foot.
citizenM London Shoreditch: located in the hipster district, this hotel is a very nice place to stay in London for couples. The view of the city from the rooms is top, the decoration is modern.
Holiday Inn London Camden Lock: on the waterfront and a 5-minute walk from Camden Town market, this hotel offers modern and bright rooms. An interesting place to stay to visit London as a couple and discover this city from another angle.
Hotel Indigo: located between Westminster and Covent Garden, this hotel is a very nice place to stay for couples during a weekend in London. On the roof of the hotel you will find a bar, but above all the most important: a magnificent view of the city of London!
The Sumner Hotel: outside the well-known areas of London, but close to the underground and Hyde park, this hotel offers reasonable prices. It is therefore a very cool place to stay in London for couples.
3. Nice hotels and apartments to stay in London with family
Discover our selection of the best hotels and apartments to stay in London to visit the city with your family.
Cove St Martin’s: located in the Covent Garden district, these two pretty apartments are perfect for a family stay in London. The first apartment has one bedroom and a living room, and the second – three bedrooms and a living room. Both have a balcony!
Central Hotel: with a very good value for money, this hotel will allow you to visit London with your family without breaking the bank. The location is good: 5 minutes from the metro and transport. You will therefore be able to move around London easily and visit its essentials.
4. Cheap accommodation and budget hotels in London
Discover our selection of the best places and cheap accommodation in London. With a tighter budget, you can of course also enjoy your trip.
Rockwell East-Tower Bridge: a nice 32m2 studio apartment 8 minutes walk from the Tower of London and the Tower Hill underground. Convenient for on the go! To book without hesitation, if you are going to visit London for couples.
LSE High Holborn: well located address, not far from the Soho district and Covent Garden. This residence is an ideal place to stay in London with very reasonable prices.
Point A London Liverpool Street: hotel located close to public transport and 10 minutes from Shoreditch High Street. It offers windowless rooms at very reasonable rates for London. If you are going to spend the whole day outside, this address is a good solution where to stay to visit London as a couple without totally breaking the bank.
The Mornington Camden: a hostel for women, not far from Camden Town tube. A good place to stay to visit London, if you are a group of girls. This is a nice and cheap accommodation where ti stay in London.
The Walrus Bar and Hostel: hostel located on the south bank of the Thames. This hostel offers beds in dormitories with rates under 35 euros per night. You can also find rooms with two single beds. Nice and cheap accommodation to stay in London.
5. What to do in London for a great trip?
Now that we have seen the areas where to stay to visit London, here are the essentials to visit. Here, it is only the first 10 points of our top.
- Seing Big Ben and the Palace of Westminster (skip-the-line tickets for visiting London Eye)
- Visiting Westminster Abbey
- Discovering the Tower Bridge
- Visiting St. Paul’s Cathedral
- Walking on the Millennium Bridge
- Going to the top of The Shard Tower (prices ans photos from the top of the Shard Tower)
- Discovering Little Venice by boat (prices and booking for this unusual activity to do in London)
- Visiting the amazing neighborhood of Camden Town
- Seeing Buckingham Palace’s Changing of the Guard
- Visiting the British Museum
Find more in our TOP 30 of the best things to do in London.
Among the best areas to stay in London to visit the city as a couple, with family or friends, there are the districts: Soho, Covent Garden, Pidically, Camden, Notting Hill and Shoreditch. Some of these neighborhoods are more suitable for visiting London with the family, others are perfect places to stay in London for couples, and still others are the most interesting for a trip with friends.
Accommodation prices in London are among the highest in Europe. It is therefore sometimes very difficult to find cheap accommodation where to stay in London. The easiest solution is to look at youth hostels. Another option is to move away from the historic center, while looking at accommodations close to public transport and the metro.